Seguin Beauty School

<span style="font-size: large;">APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID

Most forms of federal, state, and institutional aid are applied for with the FAFSA.

To be eligible to receive aid, you must meet the following requirements:

1. You must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible program at an eligible school. A regular student is one who is enrolled in a school to obtain a degree or certification. An eligible program is a program that leads to a degree or certification at a school that participates in financial aid programs.

2. You must have a high school diploma or GED.

3. You must meet the enrollment status requirement

4. You must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen. If you are an eligible non-citizen, you must have: A) an alien registration receipt card –I-151, I-551, OR I-551C; B) an arrival –departure record I-94 stamped as a refugee, asylum status, conditional errant (before April 1,1980) , parolee, or Cuban-Haitian entrant; C) a temporary resident card (I-688)

5. You must exhibit financial need.

6. You must sign a statement of educational purpose by which you agree to use financial aid funds only for education-related expenses.

7. You must maintain satisfactory academic progress in your program.

8. You must sign a statement of registration status indicating that you have registered with selective service if you are required to do so. This registration requirement applies to males who:

A. are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens;

B. were born on or after January 1,1960;

C. are at least 18 years old; and

D. Are not on active duty in the armed forces.

9. You must not be in default on a Title IV student loan borrowed for attendance at any school or owe a repayment on a Title IV grant or scholarship received for attendance at any school.

10. You must not have borrowed in excess of Title IV loan limits.

11. You must sign an anti-drug abuse act certification.

12. You must not be enrolled concurrently in an elementary or secondary school.

13. You must not have been denied Title IV financial aid in connection with a conviction for drug trafficking or possession.


Federal student financial aid programs require a financial needs analysis. The purpose of the needs analysis system is to establish the amount of financial aid you need. The amount of aid you receive if you meet the eligibility requirements depends on whether you and your family are considered to have financial need.

Financial need is the difference between the cost of education and what you and your family are expected to contribute towards your education. The costs that are generally considered in the cost of education are tuition and fees, rooms, books and supplies, transportation and personal expenses. Your family’s expected contribution is determined by a standard formula which considers you annual adjusted gross income, home equity, savings, stocks and bonds, other assets in the form of a business, farm or real estate, and non-taxable income and benefits. Dependency status based on hour you answer certain questions on your applicant for federal student aid, you will be considered either dependent or independent. If you are considered dependent, your financial need is calculated on the basis of you and your spouses (if applicable) resources, as well as your parents resources. If you are considered independent, your financial need is calculated on the basis of you and your spouses (if applicable) resources.


1. you are at least 24 years old by December 31 of the award year; 2. you are a veteran of the u.s. armed forces; 3. you are a ward of the court or both of your parents are deceased and you do not have an adoptive parent or legal guardian; 4. you have a legal dependent other than a spouse; 5. You are married and will not be claimed as an exemption on your parents expected year U.S. income tax return.

If you are considered independent by criteria 5, you must document that status before receiving financial aid. If you do not meet any of the criteria above but think you have unusual circumstances that would make you independent, talk to our financial aid administrator.

The FAFSA is the application you use to apply for federal grants and educationalstudent loans at nearly every university in the country. A FAFSA should be completed at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The best way to find out what you qualify for at Seguin Beauty School is to set up an appointment with the school Financial Aid Office.

Within an hour, students are generally told an estimated amount of financial aid they will qualify for.

For your financial aid appointment, you’ll need the following information for yourself and your parents (if you’re dependent):

•  Your Social Security Number and/or alien registration number

•  Your driver's license (if you have one)

•  An IRS Tax Transcript, Your last year’s W-2 Forms and other records of money earned

•  Your (and your spouse's, if you are married) last year’s Federal Income Tax Return - IRS transcript or foreign tax return; if you have not yet filed, you’ll need good estimates of the amounts involved Your last year’s untaxed income records - Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare, or veterans benefits records (if applicable)

We strongly recommend that you set up an appointment with the school Financial Aid Office. We will give you all the pertinent information you need to get into school. Dependent students must provide parental income information, even if their parents do not help them with their educational costs.The FAFSA must be signed by the student and a parent of the dependent studnet.

At the end of your financial aid appointment, you will know which date you can begin class, usually within the next 2 weeks.

Once your FAFSA has been submitted, you’ll receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education, either by e-mail or postal mail. When you receive the SAR, carefully review it to make sure that all the information is accurate. If everything is accurate, you don’t need to do anything else with the SAR. Shortly after you receive your SAR, Seguin Beauty School will receive the same information from the U.S. Department of Education. At that point, you may be selected for verification . If so, you will be asked to submit additional documentation to our office. If not selected, you may simply be eligible for financial aid awards to help you pay for your Cosmetology program.

The Seguin Beauty School Financial Aid Office telephone number is 830-372-0935.


Federal student aid is awarded on a need basis for each applicant. Need is the difference between the cost of your education (education expenses such as tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, and other expenses)  and the amount the student and his/her family can afford to pay. This is determined by the standard formula established by the U.S. Department of Education. Need is determined by evaluating the information from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Factors such as income, assets and benefits are considered in determining the student's financial needs.


Grants typically do not have to be repaid and are usually need-based. Applying for grants is done by completing the FAFSA application at the financial aid office or by visiting, www.fafsa.ed.gov. Seguin Beauty School participates in the Federal Pell Grant program.

• Federal Pell Grant:  A Federal Pell Grant is a free grant that does not have to be repaid. The student must complete the FAFSA in order to determine eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant. If the student is eligible for a Pell Grant, the award amount eligibility ranges to maximum of $5,815 for the 2016-2017 award year.

• The information provided on the FAFSA application will be used to determine student eligibility. Awards vary based on financial need and fund availability.

Policy for Professional Judgment

A financial aid professional may exercise professional judgment and change elements in the federal need analysis to account for circumstances that he/she feels have not been adequately considered in the original FAFSA.

Instructions to Students/Parents:

All requests for the execution of professional judgment must:

Be initiated by a letter from the student in which the student requests consideration of his/her particular circumstances. It must be legible, signed and dated. The student is encouraged to focus on events in the prior year that have affected or will affect his/her family’s ability to pay for the current year's college expenses.

Require documentation. Please refer to the "Documentation Requirements" when preparing your request for consideration of special circumstances.

Require a valid and verified Student Aid Report. Please file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid according to the instructions provided by the Department of Education. Your special circumstances will be considered only after we have received your SAR. If you have been selected for verification, we must complete that process before considering your special needs.

Require a signed copy of the most recent tax transcript. If you have not already provided a copy of all required tax documents for verification, please include one with your request for consideration of special circumstances.

Remember: Any adjustments made to your SAR as a result of your request for a professional judgment decision may delay or change your financial aid package.

All requests must be submitted to the financial aid office.

Duration of Pell Eligibility
All students may receive Pell Grants for up to 12 semesters, measured by percentage of Scheduled Award(s) disbursed (“Lifetime Eligibility Used,” or “LEU” field in COD up to 600%). This limitation is not limited to students who received their first Pell Grant on or after July 1, 2008, as was the previous limit of 18 semesters or equivalent.

Low interest loans may be available to students. A completed FAFSA application must be submitted to determine loan eligibility. Subsidized Loans are need-based, while Unsubsidized Loans are not need-based. The school participates in the William D. Ford Direct (Subsidized/Unsubsidized/PLUS) Loan Program:

• William D. Ford Federal Direct Subsidized Loan:  A need-based loan from the federal government from which the government pays for the interest on the loan while the student is enrolled in school. Repayments and interest begin six months after the last day of attendance (LDA).

• To apply for student loans, student must apply for a PIN. To apply for your PIN go to www.pin.ed.gov.

• Once a PIN has been obtained, wait 24 hours then go online to apply for the Direct student loan at www.studentloans.gov.


Students or parents of students who enter into an agreement regarding a Title IV loans should be advised that the loan will be submitted to NSLDS and accessible by authorized agencies, lenders, and institutions.